Fall

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: More Laundry Soap

I was out of laundry soap again, and decided to try a different recipe this time. I made a batch that used my whole Fel's Naptha bar rather than just 1/3 of it. This recipe makes 5 gallons, which you dilute 1:1 with water (fill empty jugs 1/2 full of the soap, then finish filling the jugs with water). Then use 1/4 cup for front loading machine (or 5/8 cup for top loading.)
So, now I the equivalent of 10 gallons of laundry soap made up from things I already had stored. :)

Here's what to do:
Grate a bar of Fels Naptha soap into a large pot about 1/4 full of water (4 cups or so). Then bring to a boil. As it melts add: 1 cup Washing Soda and 1/2 cup Borax. Stir till melted.

I filled my 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of hot water then stirred in the soap mixture. When it was mixed well, I finished filling the bucket. Then let it set overnight to 'gel'.
Remember you can add scent by putting in a few drops of essential oils (I like Jasmine or Orange) to each jug.  I have rose scent that I use sometimes for my lingerie, but find I don't like that for all my laundry.
When this large batch is gone, I am going to make a batch using my Castille soap.  So far, of the Fels Naptha and the Ivory, I don't have a favorite.

1 comment:

  1. Here is is March 2012 and I JUST FINISHED this batch of laundry soap. It lasted almost TEN MONTHS! Time to make another batch. And I still have all the ingredients to make more soap, so no purchase required!

    ReplyDelete