Fall

Sunday, November 20, 2011

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: Pizzarino Green Beans

When trying to think of something to take to the Ward Thanksgiving Dinner, I wanted to use from my food storage.  I had several beans and decided to try to find something other than the green bean casserole made with cream of mushroom: I figured there would be plenty of those.

While browsing the web, I found this wonderful website called 20 ways to cook Green Beans. I found a quick and easy recipe that called for 2 cans of green beans, some sliced olives, oregano, garlic salt, wine vinegar and oil. That's IT!  OK, I chose it for the simplicity, but I make it because it was a HIT!  I took home NO left overs from the party. I then made them again for dinner with the missionaries.  This is becoming my new favorite way to fix green beans. I think next time I will try to fix this with balsamic vinegar rather than the red wine vinegar for a different taste.  I may also have to try this with my favorite vineger, malt vinegar. That might be a good twist.


Here are the quick and easy directions:

~I opened and drained 2 cans of French style green beans (the others would work, but I like the way these look in a bowl!) I poured these into a microwave safe casserole.
~I stirred in some sliced olives.  The first time, I sliced my own.  The next batch, I added a can of pre-sliced olives.  So much easier and just as yummy!
~Next I added in 2 tsp Oregano.  It's time for me to buy more of this!  If I forget to buy more soon, I will use Italian seasoning in my next batch.  It might be fun to try this with basil, too.
~The fourth ingredient is garlic salt.  Stir in 1/2 tsp garlic salt.
~Last, I added 2 Tablespoons EACH of red wine vinegar and olive oil.  The recipe did not call for olive oil, but I thought that would go nicely with the oregano and garlic salt.

I nuked this for 3 minutes, but this could also be heated on the stove.  It's always a good thing to find something tasty AND easy.  Simple is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment