Fall

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: Baked Reuben Sandwiches

Betty Crocker has given me another idea for a great sandwich.  HERE is the link to her wonderful baked reuben sandwich recipe.  I tweaked it a bit to fit my kitchen.

Since I keep a supply of home canned corned beef in my pantry, I used some of that rather than buy deli corned beef.
And I use the baking mix from Aldi's.
So...

Mix 2 cups baking mix, 1 cup milk, 1 egg, and 1 tsp caraway seeds.  Put about 1/2 of this in the bottom of a greased 8x8 pan.
On top of this, I put about 1/2 pint shredded corned beef and just drizzled some mustard over the top.  I then layered with 4 slices of swiss cheese and topped that with a can of sauerkraut.  I topped that with another layer of corned beef, drizzled in mustard, and another 4 slices of swiss cheese.
I then spread out the rest of the batter on top and sprinkled with some more caraway seeds.


I popped this in a  400* oven for 35 minutes.
It came out looking like a beautiful crusty loaf of bread!

I think I might like to try this with a rye flour or maybe rye seeds rather than caraway seeds, although I do like caraway with kraut.






I sliced this up and it was like eating a stuffed biscuit.
Delicious corned beef and kraut cooked right in the bread. I served this with horseradish and thousand island dressing. YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment