Fall

Thursday, April 12, 2012

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: small Angel Food Cake



After making my Tiramisu (found here), I had 6 egg whites that needed to be used.  I didn't want to make meringue, but didn't want the egg whites to go to waste.  I searched the web and found Cookie Baker Lynn's blog (found here) which had a 6 egg solution: a small angel food cake!







6 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
6 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup minus 2 T flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup flaked coconut

Beat the eggs with the cream of tartar and salt.  Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time. Beat until shiny and stiff.  Pour into an 8" square pan.  I did not grease the pan, but will try greasing it next time.
I had some leftover coconut from my Easter Basket Cookies (found here).  That's why the green.. It made it festive!  If I had planned this out, I could have gotten creative with chocolate bunnies and jelly beans for decoration.  Next time!
This is also pretty with just white coconut as you can see from Cookie Baker Lynn's Blog post..
And this is much easier than the Angel Food cakes I remember my mother making!

No comments:

Post a Comment