Fall

Saturday, January 29, 2011

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: My Kid's Favorite Cake

 CHOCOLATE CAKE
In mixer, add 2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 5 tablespoons cocoa, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs (or 2 Tablespoons egg powder, for shelf stable recipe), 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 cup oil (sometimes I use 1/2 cup applesauce, because I have a LOT of home-canned apple sauce!) 2/3 cup buttermilk (I put about a tablespoon of vinegar in the bottom of my 2/3 cup measuring cup and fill will milk -- use reconstituted milk or reconstituted buttermilk for shelf stable), and 1 cup boiling water (remember to add 4 Tablespoons extra water if using powdered eggs).

The batter will be very soupy, not thick..

Preheat oven to 350*.











Grease and SUGAR a cake pan.  (I will grease and flour a pan when I am taking it out onto a cake pan, but I use sugar to give it more sweet goodness! lol.. I also use spray cooking oil to grease it with as opposed to Crisco.  Sometimes I use butter, but today I used powdered butter for the frosting, so didn't have the butter paper to grease the pan with).

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes..




Make the frosting while this is cooking.  I was out of powdered sugar, so I put 1 cup of granulated sugar at a time in my blender and blended on high until it was powdered.  I did this three times because I needed three cups.  I don't know if you can tell the difference, but the first picture is of the granulated sugar in my blender; the next is the powdered sugar.. it worked just fine in this recipe!!


 Take the 3 cups of powdered sugar and put in a saucepan with 1/2 cup cocoa.  Add 1/2 cup butter (I used 1/2 cup butter powder and increased my liquid by 1/2 cup).  Add 1/3 cup of some drink (I use what I have on hand: herbal tea, any flavor juice, any flavor soda -- the original recipe calls for coffee.. but since we don't drink coffee, I use whatever is in the fridge.)
I stir over medium heat with a whisk and add a teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt. 


 Here is the finished cake out of the oven. I cut into slices so that when I pour the frosting on, it will go down in and make each piece extra rich with buttery/chocolaty goodness.
Here is the cake after I've poured the frosting on top.  It will continue to soak down in there..

Soo delicious!  My kids prefer this over ANY other cake!!  I got the recipe from my mom (so Nick refers to it as Grandma Kathleen's cake), but I believe she got the recipe from my Aunt Marge.. I have NO IDEA where the original recipe came from, but I am so glad we have it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment