Fall

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: Cake Mix Cobbler

 Here's what you need for an EASY dessert..
I used home canned fruit. I didn't have any pineapple zucchini (where I can shredded zucchini in pineapple juice to use for crushed pineapple in this dessert) but I did have canned.
 If you have canned pie filling, that would work.. I used fruit. My picture shows cherries, but I have also used canned blackberries. I put the juice in a pot with a big spoonful of corn starch and heat to thicken. (This step is not necessary if using pie filling).

Pour the pineapple in the bottom of a cake pan. Pour the fruit on top of that. If your fruit is not sweetened, you will need to sprinkle a scoop (about 3/4 cup) on top of the fruit to sweeten it. I would also add sugar to the thickening sauce if not already sweet.  Pour that on top of the fruit.  Again, this cooking step and adding sugar step is unnecessary if using either home canned or store-bought pie filling.
Pour a yellow cake mix on top of all that.  I take 3/4 to 1 stick of butter and cut up over the top.  To make this a shelf stable recipe, reconstitute 1/3 cup or so of butter and dollop it over the top. Bake about 50 minutes at 375*.  I am sorry I don't have a picture of the final dessert to show in all its yummy splendor, but it didn't last long enough for a photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment