Fall

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: Corned Beef and Cabbage

 Every year for St. Patrick's Day, I make a huge pot of Corned Beef and Cabbage, then can up a pressure load to have for easy meals through out the year.
This year, I worked on St. Patrick's day, so I did this on the day after.  Also, I decided I didn't want to can the meat at night, when I was full of food and tired, SO, I put the briskets in my roasting oven the night before!  Here are the 7 briskets cooked up in the roaster -- it takes about 1 brisket per quart jar. Cover with water to cook.







I pulled out one brisket at a time and laid the fat side down on a plate. Then cubed the meat down to the fat.  Then I used tongs to pick up the meat and put in the hot, clean jars.  The fat, for the most part, stayed on the plate unless I cut too far.


 I put the fat pieces into another bowl to make a yummy snackie for the pups. :o)









Here you can see my canner on the stove. I usually use regular sized lids for corned beef, although last year I filled a couple wide mouth jars with larger pieces of corned beef. That was good, too, but this easier, I think. Fill the jars with meat, then add the cooking water to 1/2 inch from the top.
Look at the cool silicon funnel my mother bought me!  It 'collapses' down flat for easy storage in a drawer.
Put hot lids and rings on the jars, then pressure for an hour and a half.
And here are the completed jars. YUMMY!  I love to open a jar of corned beef and eat it.  It tastes just as good then as it does on St. Patrick's Day!!

After I canned up my 7 briskets for a pressure load, I added a couple briskets, cabbage, potatoes, onions, and carrots to cook the rest of the day for dinner.  My canning was done BEFORE midnight!  I like doing it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment