Fall

Monday, March 7, 2011

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: Home Canned Liver

With all that liver that Mark brought home (a little bonus from the man he's working for) I had to think of something to do with it. I made a BIG batch of liver and onions and still have over half the liver left.
SO, I decided to can it for easy meals later when I don't have time to cook.
I cubed the liver and did a quick stir fried in oil until the pieces were brown, but not completely cooked. I did not add any seasoning while cooking because I added salt to the jars.
I put the liver in pint jars, added 1/2 teaspoon un-iodized (canning) and a scant 1/4 cup boiling water.  After wiping the rims of the jars, I put hot flats and rings on and put in the canner. I pressure canned my jars for 1 hour 15 minutes at 10# pressure.
I ended up with 9 pints of canned liver.

I floured the liver before frying and putting in the last jar.  The recipe just said to fry a bit before canning and I wasn't sure if you rolled in flour (which I always do before frying) or not.  So I only did one jar with flour. It looks good, but is the only jar that seeped out.  And it looks more mushy rather than the cubes in the other jars.  I guess I'll see how it tastes one of these days if it doesn't go bad. But I am glad to have some more 'food storage'.

4 comments:

  1. so how was it? I'm wondering if it can be canned dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you opened a jar to try yet? If so, how did you prepare after you opened the jar? I am curious about the jar that you canned that you dredged in flour...
    I would be inclined to add onions to the jar before processing. Please let us know about the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can all my meat dry. One of my favorites is Italian sausage with onion and green peppers. Right now I am dry canning raw chicken livers. It will cook when pressure canned. I was thinking about trying a little onion as well.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting. I've now Canned my first liver. I opened a jar and it's absolutely delicious. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete