Fall

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: Creole Chicken and Grits

OK, the picture doesn't do this justice, but this was a hit with the family, and it can be a totally shelf stable recipe!

First, put 1/4 cup dehydrated onions, 1/3 cup dehydrated celery, and a handful of dehydrated bell peppers in a 2 cup measuring cup and fill to the top with boiling water. Let this soak while you make the roux for the meat. To be totally shelf stable, I would rehydrate freeze dried chicken chunks, here, too.. be sure and save the water from both the chicken and the veggies as you will need the liquid in your recipe. I used frozen chicken, but know the freeze dried would be just as yummy.

In a large pot, heat 1/4 cup oil. Then add 1/3 cup flour and stir to cook/brown for ten minutes or so. Keep stirring so it doesn't burn. I then added a couple cloves crushed garlic (for shelf stable, rehydrate garlic with the other veggies or use garlic powder). Drain the veggies, saving the liquid, and add to the roux.  Cook and stir until hot. Stir in a small (6 oz) can tomato paste. Stir in 2 cups reserved liquid (you may need to add more water) Add 1/2 Tablespoon homemade cajun seasoning (or your regular creole spice).  Splash in some worchestershire sauce  and lemon juice (about a teaspoon each). For shelf stable, omit the lemon juice or add about 1/2 teaspoon citric acid.  Put on a lid and cook until the chicken is done.

While this is cooking, make a pot of grits.  I used quick grits (I know, sorry, but I got them at a really good price and couldn't resist!!). I heated up 2 1/2 cups milk (for shelf stable, use reconstituted dry milk) with a teaspoon of salt. When it was hot, I added 1 1/2 cups quick grits.

When the chicken was done (maybe 20 minutes?), I spread the grits on a platter and topped with the creole chicken.  Hubby said it wasn't too spicy as he expected, and my daughter loved the grits in it.  I loved having Cajun food today even if we don't have Mardi Gras around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment