Fall

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: Kabobs

I had some mushrooms and peppers from a good sale and decided to make kabobs.  I cut up some rib steaks into bite sized chunks and various veggies out of the fridge: peppers, mushrooms, onions, squash.
Then, I put in my Tupperware marinater, which I LOVE.  Anyway, I was going to pour a bottle of Italian dressing over the top, but the kids wanted teriyaki sauce.  I usually make teriyaki with meat on the skewers, but no veggies, but thought I'd give it a try.  Nathan 'lit' my grill by taking a shovel full of coals out of the furnace and putting in the grill! LOL  Anyway, the coals were ready to use as soon as I was ready to cook (I made them early in the day so they could marinate for a few hours).  Then I grilled for the first time this year! Yummy.
I got this recipe when I was a teenager from the mother of kids I used to baby-sit.  The kids were Tony, Trestoni, Tara, and Tiana -- but I cannot remember the mom's name or the last name! They lived in the same court as we did in Millington. Anyway, I loved this recipe then and my kids love it now.

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup salad oil
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons dry mustard
6 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Mix together and pour over meat.  (The recipe says to soak the meat, then skewer it: I skewer the meat then soak it -- sometimes I have to snip the bamboo skewers so they fit in my Tupperware marinater.  I also always double or triple this recipe as it is for 1 1/2 lbs meat and I cook more than that. :o)
You can also put pineapple with the meat. And, as I discovered, it is not bad with other veggies, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment