Fall

Monday, March 7, 2011

GRANNY'S KITCHEN: Homemade Cajun Seasoning

I broke about 5 of my home grown and dehydrated chilies in half and poured out most of the seeds. I also added approximately the same amount of my home grown and dehydrated cayenne peppers.  I put these in my food processor with a couple tablespoons each of paprika, garlic powder and onion powder.  I then added about a tablespoon each of salt, black pepper, white pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, and sugar.






I then blended on high until all ground and mixed.

Be sure to wait a couple minutes before opening to give the 'dust' time to settle -- you wouldn't want to breathe any hot spice into your lungs.







I found this 'sugar shaker' at the dollar store. I thought it would be perfect for my homemade seasoning because of the big holes. I was imagining the large pepper flakes like you get at the pizza parlor for this, and I may do that yet, but I ended up grinding it pretty fine, so the larger holes would not have been necessary.

I guess my next project with my dehydrated chilies and peppers is to grind them into larger pieces for pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment